Learn about the different immigration pathways for living in Canada with children

By: VisaCND

November 22, 2021

The excellent safety and high quality of life, the health and education system, are key factors to make living in Canada with children one of the best options for your family.

The Government of Canada has a legal system that takes special care of children and offers them a life with their primary needs covered. Therefore, if you are thinking of emigrating with your family, Canada is one of the countries that offers you the most benefits.

I have citizenship or permanent residency in Canada, how do I bring my children?

If you already have a legal and permanent status in Canada, you can sponsor your children, partner and other family members for permanent residency.

Family Sponsorship Visa

If you wish to sponsor a family member you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be over 18 years of age.
  • You will commit to support your family member financially if necessary. In addition, the new permanent resident must also commit to do what is necessary to support himself/herself.
  • You must support your partner financially from the time he/she acquires permanent resident status and for the next 3 years.
  • For your dependent children, you must support them financially for 10 years or until they turn 25, whichever comes first.
  • In the case of parents and grandparents, the financial obligation is for 20 years from the time the relative becomes a permanent resident. For other family members, the sponsorship is for 10 years.

Who can I sponsor?

  • Spouse, domestic partner or conjugal partner.
  • Dependent children under the age of 22, unmarried. Or, over the age of 22 with a physical or mental condition in need of financial support.
  • Parents and grandparents.
  • Siblings, nieces/nephews, orphaned grandchildren, children under 18 years of age and unmarried.
  • Under specific conditions you may sponsor any other family member.
  • Accompanying family members of the above (spouse, partner or dependent children).

Please note that if you are a Canadian citizen you may sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent children without dependent children even if you are outside of Canada, and with the commitment that the new resident intends to reside in the country. If you are a permanent resident in Canada you will not be able to sponsor your family members if you are outside the country.

Since May 2021, the Government of Canada announced the granting of permanent residences to students and workers from essential areas in Canada who are in the territory. In addition, more opportunities were announced for young people and children of immigrants, so if you are thinking of taking the step and establishing a life in Canada with your family, this is the right time.

Living in Canada with children

I am in my country, but I want to live in Canada with my children.

If you are planning to go to live in Canada and you are wondering if you can do it with your family, the answer is yes. There are several ways to do it if you acquire a job offer in Canada or a work permit, but if you do not have this requirement you can do it through studies, it is one of the most reliable and safe ways to acquire your permanent residence in Canada.

Emigrating to Canada with my family through a higher education program

In order to migrate to Canada through studies, you must have a higher education, i.e. diplomas, bachelor's, master's or doctoral degrees.

You will not be eligible for this process if you only want to study English or French in the country, so you will have to prove your language proficiency beforehand in order to obtain a letter of acceptance to an institution of higher education.

You must also have sufficient funds for the visa application process for you and your family, including tuition fees, and to support yourself and your family in Canada.

Student visa benefits

  • Part-time work permit during study periods and full-time work permit during vacations.
  • Full-time work permit for your partner.
  • Possibility of a Post-Graduation Work Permit for up to 3 years after finishing your studies.
  • Free primary and secondary education for your children between 5 and 18 years old.

You must take into account that not all educational institutions offer the above benefits, so you must make sure that the institution where you will study is a publicly funded and approved by the Canadian Government, and that it allows you to acquire a Post-Graduation Work Permit once you finish your studies, so you can acquire the necessary professional experience to apply for your permanent residency.

Benefits offered by the Government of Canada to migrant families with children

If you decide to live in Canada with your children, they will receive the following benefits:

  • Open Study Permit: Free education for children between the ages of 5 and 18, plus subsequent access to a higher education that is world-renowned for its excellent quality.
  • Upon arrival in Canada, your children will enter a "host school" where they will learn the language and integrate into Canadian life.
  • Child Benefit Program: to ensure the care and needs of the children of migrants in Canada, the Government grants them monetary assistance.

These are two ways to migrate to Canada with your family, but it all depends on your situation, so if you need immigration advice to achieve living in Canada with children do not hesitate to contact Visa CND. We will make a detailed study of your profile to propose the best way to achieve your goals in Canada with a 99% probability of success. 


Quick Registration

Quickly complete the process of obtaining your visa to Canada, fill out this simple form to take the first step.